Below is a check list provided by the NSW Fire Service. Be sure to remind your clients of fire safety issues this winter
It is recommend to become familiar with this simple safety checklist to help keep homes fire safe this winter. Make sure you and everyone in the household follows the following safety advice:
· Most importantly, there should be an adequate number of suitable smoke alarms installed throughout your home and make sure that you test them regularly.
· Make sure your client knows two safe ways out of every room in the home.
· Never ever leave cooking unattended.
· Check electric blankets for damage or frayed cords before placing on the bed.
· Take care to keep curtains, tablecloths and bedding away from portable heaters.
· Keep wet clothing at least 1 metre from heaters or fireplaces and never leave unattended.
· If you use a clothes dryer make sure you clean the lint filter each and every time you use it
· Only use one appliance per power point and switch off when not in use.
· Remind your client to always extinguish candles or any other open flames before going to bed
· Always handle candles or any other open flame with care.
· Store matches or lighters in a secure place not accessible to young children.
Winter Fire Safety Tips
- To test an electric blanket lay it flat on top of the bed, then switch it on for five minutes before putting it on the bed for use to confirm it is okay.
- Use only authorised installers of fixed heating appliances.
- Oil, gas or wood heating units may require a yearly maintenance check.
- Only use fuses of recommended rating and install an electrical safety switch.
- If possible, in the kitchen keep a fire extinguisher and fire blanket placed near the exit.
For further information click here